Today I was reminded of the scams that can go around and the tech support one is one of the most commonly used ones and is sadly still used today!
So things to look out for….
Do not trust unsolicited calls, do not province any personal information.
Here are some of the organizations that cybercriminals claim to be from:
- Windows Helpdesk
- Windows Service Center
- Microsoft Tech Support
- Microsoft Support
- Windows Technical Department Support Group
- Microsoft Research and Development Team (Microsoft R & D Team)
More information HERE
I have in the past heard of many of these scams and people who have been duped into thinking the call is actually from Microsoft stating that they have a problems with their PC.
These tend to be bogus as Microsoft will not phone you up stating that they have scanned your PC and found malware or issues that you need fixing.
“Cybercriminals have been calling people on the telephone, claiming to be from Windows or from Microsoft, and offering to help solve their computer problems. Once cybercriminals have gained your trust, they can:
- Trick you into installing malicious software on your computer.
- Take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings in order to leave the computer vulnerable.
- Request credit card information so that they can bill you for the phony services”
Read more HERE from the MSDN Security Tips Team