Ahhh while I know I’m a few days late I still think this is a good article to post as I have upgraded my Windows Mobile 6.5 HTC HD2 to a Windows Mobile 7 HTC HD7, so the information on this forthcoming update is especially of interest to me.
“Microsoft Corp. today previewed the next major release of Windows Phone, code-named “Mango,” through a series of media events around the world. “Mango” will deliver more than 500 new features to push the boundaries of the smartphone experience around communications, apps and the Internet. The “Mango” release will be available for free to Windows Phone 7 customers and is scheduled to ship on new phones beginning this fall. More details on device update timing will be provided closer to availability. Windows Phone will also add support for additional languages, expand access to apps by launching Windows Phone Marketplace in new countries, and partner with new OEMs to enable expansion to new markets.*
- Threads. Switch between text, Facebook chat and Windows Live Messenger within the same conversation.
- Groups. Group contacts into personalized Live Tiles to see the latest status updates right from the Start Screen and quickly send a text, email or IM to the whole group.
- Deeper social network integration. Twitter and LinkedIn feeds are now integrated into contact cards, and “Mango” includes built-in Facebook check-ins and new face detection software that makes it easier to quickly tag photos and post to the Web.
- Linked inbox. See multiple email accounts in one linked inbox. Conversations are organized to make it easy to stay on top of the latest mail.
- Hands-free messaging. Built-in voice-to-text and text-to-voice support enables hands-free texting or chatting.”
Some of the updates above in the 500 have me eagerly awaiting this update as I have in the 1 week I have had this phone loved it and its ease of use, having Office 2010 mobile included is a major plus for me, BUT I have to say I am disappointed in a few areas and one is tethering!? WHY is this not part of the WM7 ecosystem?
But all in all its a superb phone if you like them kind of large and heavy as its not small and discrete and light.
Read the full press release HERE